Our families are the lifeblood of the Station

There are six families who live on the Station and all play a part in some way in its running. Other people from the district come in from time to time to cut silage, build fences, shear our sheep, plant trees and undertake all the various jobs that need doing on the farm.

Along with Tom and Eve Quihampton, our Assistant Manager, Shaun Coman, and his wife, Taria, and their three children, live on the Station.

Chris and Marcia Wright are long time Station residents. Chris maintains the grounds of the Square and Homestead, and Marcie overseas the Guest Quarters.

The Woomargama Station families are a tight knit community who all look out for one another.



Clare is passionate about farming and passionate about the environment; she is also passionate about marrying the two.

Farming is in Clare’s family. Her forebears were wheat farmers in South Australia as well as, flour millers and wheat traders on the Baltic exchange. Her parents, Gordon and Margaret Darling bought Woomargama Station in 1965 and developed the property together.

Originally an investment banker, Clare later worked for Earthwatch managing their Australian scientific field research. Earthwatch was an early pioneer in the corporate funding of conservation.

Clare is an avid follower of the game of cricket and has taken girls’ cricket tours around the world. She sits on the Committee of the Melbourne Cricket Club.

The Meeting Tree Legacy Continues

Named after the indigenous wild cherry plant, Woomargama Station was first settled by Eurpeans in 1838. The settlers, MacKenzie and Wilde, mapped out the station of 25,000 acres.

Near St Mark’s in the Woomargama village is the Meeting Tree. The locals used to meet socially at the tree but also to await the phone call from “the boss” at the Station. At 7 am, the boss would ring through the orders to the overseer, who had the only phone in the village, and let him know the orders for the day for the workers on the farm.

Farming is no longer labour intensive; none-the-less, people from the village and the Station are closely linked. Members of the Station sit on local committees, man the fire truck during bushfires, and are connected to the village church, St Mark’s, which was established in 1888. In fact, Clare and Andrew got married at St Mark’s, known colloquially as the “Cathedral!”

We have had a number of fire events in summers over the years. When these occur, the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service takes over the Station’s paddock just by the wool shed for the helicopters used to fight bushfires. Here the choppers are refueled and the pilots can be fed. Mobile phone coverage runs out past this point so this paddock is the last point of call before satellite phone only coverage.